Detling History

The church at Dytling is first mentioned in Saxon times as one of seventeen churches in the diocese subordinate to Maegdstane to whom they paid their dues.
It is next mentioned in 1252 when a woman accused of complicity in a murder, escaped from the Archbishop’s prison in Maidstone and sought sanctuary in the church at Detlinen.
There are no remains of a Saxon church. The south wall of the nave is said to be early Norman. The jamb of an old window can be seen.
The two arches to the north aisle are Early English and the arch between the organ chapel and the chancel are 14th century as is the West Tower. There were originally three bells but two were cracked and were sold in 1861 and the money used to pay for the box pews. The church was enlarged to its present size in1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Jubilee. The stained glass windows are all modern. Our prize possession is an ancient carved lectern which is one of the oldest of its kind. It is decorated in the style of Edward III and is dated about 1340.
We recently celebrated the opening of new facilities. After many years of planning and fund raising a kitchen and toilet were constructed in the church and a new path laid alongside the existing cobbled path to make access to the church easier.

Music – The Organ

The Church has a fine pipe organ which was moved from the Congregational Church in Maidstone into the former Private Chapel at Detling in 1973. Much of the organ dates from the 1850’s although it has been rebuilt several times over the years and was last refurbished and revoiced in 1995. The instrument is regularly maintained by F H Brownes of Canterbury.